www.penguinunited.com
www.penguinunitedstore.com It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:12 pm 

The mouse works as is and allows up to 5 settings profiles each with 5 customizable sensitivity levels (200-3200dpi) set using Logitech Setpoint.

Unfortunately, the thumb buttons as well as the tilting scroll wheel are unrecognized by EEC so you are stuck with just the standard Left, Middle, and Right Mouse Buttons. I even tried setting the buttons to act as key-presses (like button 4 on the side to be R or something), but when buttons are set like that (even though the setting is saved to the mouse's onboard memory -- no drivers required) EEC will lose connection with the mouse once those buttons are used. At that point, the mouse just has to be unplugged and plugged back in to be recognized by EEC again, but you still can't use the extra buttons.

For now, I just have the extra buttons set to "Generic Button" or "Not in use" when configuring it using Logitech Setpoint, so that if I accidentally press any of the buttons, they won't cause EEC to drop the connection to the mouse.

Also I should note, there's another model called the G9x by Logitech. I haven't tried it out personally, but I'd guess it performs just like the G9.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:41 am 

Yes, I can confirm the G9x works as well (same mouse, really, only higher DPI settings).
Also, the mouse wheel scrolls up and down aren't recognized either, which usually can act as useful buttons. Much faster than middle click, which tends to be a bit stiff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:04 am 

Thanks for the feedback, we will work on adding the additional mouse functions in our next update.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:58 pm 

I am using this mouse and have done for years on pc, fantastic mouse and works superb with EE on PS3!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:51 pm 

Support for side buttons with the G9 would be awesome. I too have loved my mouse for years on the PC and bringing it to PS3 FPS would rock. Thanks to the OP for the info about the side buttons making it lose connection... thought I was going crazy for a bit there.

A tweak utility for the dead zone would be nice too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:08 pm 

Spunkmeyer wrote:
Support for side buttons with the G9 would be awesome. I too have loved my mouse for years on the PC and bringing it to PS3 FPS would rock. Thanks to the OP for the info about the side buttons making it lose connection... thought I was going crazy for a bit there.

A tweak utility for the dead zone would be nice too.

Regarding the dead zone issue, you may want to try creating a custom profile for your mouse in Logitech Setpoint. Play with the sensitivity and built-in acceleration features (as well as with that "Use OS settings" on and off). You may find a config that will make it easier to handle. Oh, and don't forget to have that profile saved onto the mouse's onboard memory, and not just on your PC.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:39 pm 

With this G9, do you use the middle mouse button often in games on PC??

I've read about the G5/G500 and other reviews of these Logitech series mice having problems with the middle button/wheel, that if you use it often in gaming, the "tilt L & R" is an issue. The mouse often doesn't recognize the click and reads it as wheel-tilting. This is one thing really holding me back from getting a Logitech Gx series mouse (why do they make them look so ugly now?). Anyways, I use the middle button always and press & hold to sprint in so many games. Misreads would drive me crazy...

Thanks in advance!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:37 am 

Meowman wrote:
With this G9, do you use the middle mouse button often in games on PC??

I've read about the G5/G500 and other reviews of these Logitech series mice having problems with the middle button/wheel, that if you use it often in gaming, the "tilt L & R" is an issue. The mouse often doesn't recognize the click and reads it as wheel-tilting. This is one thing really holding me back from getting a Logitech Gx series mouse (why do they make them look so ugly now?). Anyways, I use the middle button always and press & hold to sprint in so many games. Misreads would drive me crazy...

Thanks in advance!!!

Yes, when it comes to the Middle Mouse Button (MMB)... I use it A LOT! For PC games (I play a ton of Killing Floor and maybe some Left for Dead 2 on occasion via Steam), I use both the MMB and the tilting action of the scroll wheel for changing weapons on the fly. MMB I usually set to perform the "Last Weapon Used" function (which I use a lot in Killing Floor as a dedicated Berserker class to switch between my Katana and whatever gun I have equipped). I like to set the tilting scroll wheel to act as keypress for the 2 key & 3 key (which is usually the pistol/assault weapons slots respectively) so I don't have to worry about taking my left hand off of the WASD keys. It may sound awkward on paper (or screen!), but it does offer me a lot more flexibility and responsiveness to situations... which can mean the difference between life and death in some of those games.

As for it wearing down... I've owned 5 Logitech Mice in my lifetime, 3 of them were G5's and 2 were G9s. and 3 of them are still in use (1 G5 I keep at home for my desktop, 1 G9 I keep at home for my laptop, and the 2nd G9 I keep in my backpack when I take my G9 to work or elsewhere). I can tell you right now, none of them ever had issues with the mouse wheel wearing down over time. In fact the only reason the 2 G5s I had began to fail were because I would take them with me on the go (to use with my laptop at work or at school) and over time the braided mouse cord would begin to unravel and distort because I'd wrapped it up too tightly to pack it away. I've learned from that mistake and my G9 (that I use on the go) has already outlived them both.

I should also note that there's a feature to most of the Logitech gaming mice (at least for the G9, G9x, G500, and G700) that allows you to change the scroll wheel's "microgear". It has 2 modes that are changeable simply by pressing a button either under the mouse or just under the scroll wheel on the topside of the mouse. The first gives the wheel that classic, tactile 'click' feel as you scroll up or down while the second removes the scroll "click", making it completely smooth. I personally prefer the tactile click, which reduces the chance of the wheel slightly scrolling up or down, when I'm trying to use the MMB or tilt left or right.

Oh, and while the gaming mice may look less appealing than the classic oval, egg shape mice usually come in, the mice will feel a lot better in hand.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:10 pm 

Thanks for the good info! I'm trying to decide between G500 or G9x, after looking more they both seem good for my needs.. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:29 am 

I recieved a Logitech G9x a few days ago, along with a SteelSeries 4HD Gaming Surface mouse pad. It is working great with the EEC!! :D Finally I can play and it's awesome! ;)

For settings in CheckPoint v5.40.39 & Driver v5.10.9 I have changed the default profile for the "Gaming Profile" with these settings.
Buttons: L/R Clicks, DPI Increase/Decrease, rest are Generic.
Pointer: DPI's are Equal X & Y with these Levels: 200, 800, 1600, 3200, 5700. Speed: OS. Acceleration: OS. Report Rate: 1000.
Scrolling: Vertical Speed=1, Horizontal Speed=7.
Under Pointer: Use OS Native Drivers for pointer speed and acceleration=ON. DPI Levels: 5 (obviously), Speed=5, Acceleration=1, Polling Rate=1000.
Profile Manager: Switch profile myself using mouse buttons=Checked.
No macros played with yet, just getting used to this mouse. It's a REALLY nice mouse, I love the whole feel of it and the different covers. I made some more orders earlier for some items and picked the 3rd cover (the one they [Logitech] were customizing before).

I set it up for Killzone 2, COD: MW2, and just a nav the XMB profiles so far. I played with the game's sensitivity settings some and balanced them out. As stated I just recieved it recently and time constraints have kept me from testing alot more games+settings - yet. Both games I used 5700 DPI the most, and throttle down a step or two at certain times, during situations. With this G9x, I can very easily spin around 180 degrees no problem and can even go farther with a quick nudge/swing..just like on a PC. My natural moving & holding is resting my palm's knuckle/joint area (instead of pure palming it) and claw-grip, a hybrid if you will. I almost never pick up a mouse and am not a wide swipper type, thus why I like med-small mouse pads. Some of those huge pads I just can't fathom myself using them.

I'll post more soon as I play around with this G9x and the items that should be here in a couple days. System overhaul time so I have these on the way:
Logitech G500 (good deal on them at Newegg right now, $31.99 w/free shipping; -$6 instant, add code EMCYXZT42 for $7 more off and print the rebate for $25), "SteelSeries QcK Mini Mouse Pad (Black)", another "SteelSeries 4HD Gaming Surface", "Logitech Custom Grip for G9X/G9 Gaming Mouse", and some other stuff. Also a "Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard" (which can be bought at Logitech site with a 25% off code GAMING-910 for $89.99+Free S&H, from $119.99) since it's time for a fancy KB & Mouse for main PC. Whichever mouse I like more with the EEC, it will stay. I'd like to keep the G9x for PC.

Stoked so far with the performance that I just decided to wait on Move for a few although I did pick up a PS3 Move TV clip to mount the EYE, and there are some cool games at the end of this month and alot next month. 8-)

"Oh, and while the gaming mice may look less appealing than the classic oval, egg shape mice usually come in, the mice will feel a lot better in hand." - Agreed 100% with you. I just remembered all those huge funky mice when they first started coming out in the 90's and they contorted my hand too much, thus why I never got into them. As said, this G9x is awesome & very comfortable to me... Thanks for the info ChaoticInfinityX and everyone else!