www.penguinunited.com
www.penguinunitedstore.com It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:13 pm 

Devin, you can finally sit this one out. :)

My question/comments are directed at the community members here on the forums. It seems that there is an overwhelming number of "give us a firmware update for PS4 / Xbox One" threads along with "we don't want to buy a new EE" threads. Other than the obvious reason for not wanting to purchase a new unit, cost, why don't you want to purchase a new EE?

I stand by the EE product 100% because it has significantly improved my console gaming experience. That being said, it has had its share of problems. Most of the users on the forum are aware of that. So instead of updating the firmware and potentially having the same or similar issues, wouldn't you rather have a new unit that could eliminate the issues that the current unit has?

The way I look at a new version of the EE is the same way that I look at any other piece of technology, eventually it is going to have to be replaced. To me this is no different than replacing a cell phone, video card or even paying for an updated software license. It's just normal that tech. has to be replaced after a couple of years to provide more benefit. Upgrades for PC components, and in this case firmware, can only take you so far before there is no more benefit and hardware needs to be replaced. While I agree with everyone that having a firmware update would be awesome, if I am given the option of a new and improved device, I am going to take that over the firmware.

All that being said, I'm not trying to start a huge thread of arguments about this but am legitimately curious and ask again: Other than cost, what is your reasoning for not wanting to purchase a new unit?

We're also on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:50 pm 

I would also choose a new unit with room to improve it in the future over using a device we already have that could be getting close to capacity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:55 pm 

Not "getting close". It totally is at capacity and you don't know how long I've been trying to get a hardware upgrade and I finally did it and everyone hates it T_T

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:15 pm 

I would gladly pay for a new unit for the PS4.

The cost is tiny in comparison to the difference it makes to my gaming.

Is there an official release date for a new unit for the PS4? If not, an estimated timing for the next Eagle Eye version of hardware to be released which is PS4 compatible?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:07 pm 

There is not. PU doesn't have access to a PS4/Xbox One (since no one does at this time) to test or even start/finish the next gen EE.

For future posts in this thread, please do not ask about release dates for the next EE or firmware version updates, or anything like that. There are plenty of other threads out there for this, and I would like to keep this one free of it. :)

Based on the number of views for this thread it seems like people really have no good excuse, besides price, as the reason that they don't want a new unit. I know buying another unit for some is a burden, but at the same time, it's no different than buying a second controller for your next gen console. Even though I'm reiterating on this next part, it's not uncommon for a technology product to be updated. Again, it's annoying when that happens, but it's part of life in the world of technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:05 pm 

I dont think a simple firmware upgrade will work. the new dual shock controller will have a lcd screen.if anything i think they would have to design a device like the xim 3 that had a lcd screen untill they changed it to xim edge i think they went backwards with that.one thing thats going for us is that mark cerny said the new controller will be more fps friendly.which means it might make it easier now for companys like peguin to translate better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:04 pm 

LCD screen?

It'll have a touchpad, but no LCD screen on the controller.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:40 am 

Quote:
I would like to at least, have the chance to use my old/current EE with the PS4

Quote:
I don't agree with what the OP said, all of that "old tech" nonsense

Quote:
I leave it for the compulsive consumists who live in the 1st world, since I cannot afford buying a new cell phone or graphic card every year, that is I'm not a technology whore.

Moderator Note: My apologies; somehow I managed to edit your message and this was the only information I could pull back from it. -Dutchieslandgaming

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:02 pm 

Quote:
I would like to at least, have the chance to use my old/current EE with the PS4

I agree with that.
Quote:
I don't agree with what the OP said, all of that "old tech" nonsense

If you don't believe that most items out there are dated within a couple of years, you are in denial. :P Most companies try to make new products as cheap as possible which in turn limits the amount of upgrade-ability or scalability. Other companies do take the other approach and charge a premium for a product that does have the scalability, but again, it comes at a price.

I was mainly trying to state that not all products are meant to last, they're meant to appeal to consumers with their price and similar to other hardware, manufacturers eventually stop supporting their products. They stop releasing drivers and firmware and technical support usually goes out the window too. Or they make you upgrade before they'll support you.
Quote:
I leave it for the compulsive consumists who live in the 1st world, since I cannot afford buying a new cell phone or graphic card every year, that is I'm not a technology whore.

You say that right after you talk about using the EE on your PS4. :? lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:36 pm 

It wouldn't matter to me. I won't be getting a PS4 or Xbox One. I'm sticking with the PC I have now, my WiiU, and my PS3. If I do spend money on a new gaming system it will be on an AlienWare PC for sure.

That aside, I would think it to be necessary for a new EE type of device for newer gaming systems. So yea, If I had a PS4 or Xbox One I would most likely upgrade my EEC. Unless of course these new systems release mice and keyboards of their own in mass.